Eight division champion Manny Pacquiao has turn his sights to facing WBA Champion Yordenis Ugas and will have no issue facing Errol Spence Jr next ones he successfully deals with his task on the 21st of August at the T-Mobile Arena.
Pacquiao was initially scheduled to face Errol Spence Jr. as the headlining bout of the fight card but unfortunately, Spence had to pull out due to an eye injury, which will force him under the knives this Wednesday.
The news of the injury was passed to Spence on Tuesday by the Nevada State Athletic Commission Doctors while conducting a pre-fight test ahead of their previously scheduled Pay-Per-View bout.
The fight card seemed doomed by be shattered as Ugas, who was to face Fabian Maidana in the Co-Main event was left without an opponent after the later pulled out of the bout after suffering a bad cut during sparring session.
The 43 year old Pacquiao will walk into the ring for the first time since defeating the formerly undefeated Keith Thurman to win the WBA Super Welterweight title back in July 2019. Pacquiao was later demoted to champion in recess due to inactivity and Ugas was promoted to Super Champion in January. Pacquiao will face Ugas with hopes of claiming the title.
“I still consider it a good fight, a hard fight. I will not be taking this fight lightly. I have to make sure that I’m not overconfident,” Pacquiao told TMZ Sports.
Pacquiao will be willing to get back into preparation for Spence, if he is able to defeat Ugas on August 21st.
“I have no problem [fighting Spence]. As long as he’s still physically fit, then okay,” Pacquiao says.
Spence Jr. has been through a worst ordeal than what he is going through right now. In 2019, Spence Jr. was involved in a deadly car crash that was so bad, people believed his career was over but he bounced back, defended his IBF title and also won the WBC title from Shawn Porter and most recently defeated Danny Garcia with a unanimous decision