Miguel Flores Vs Oscar Valdez Rescheduled For Feb. 20th

Oscar Valdez Miguel Berchelt

130 Pound titlist Miguel Berchelt will be defending his title for the sixth time against former featherweight titlist Oscar Valdez, in an all Mexican battle that will be taking place on Feb. 20 live on ESPN and ESPN Deportes.

The Berchelt-Valdez fight was officially announced on Wednesday with Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum tipping the long anticipated fight to be a memorable one. The fight was initially scheduled to to take place in the spring last year but got postponed due to the Corona Virus pandemic.

“Miguel Berchelt and Oscar Valdez are two proud Mexican warriors who will give boxing fans a memorable fight,” Top Rank chairman Bob Arum said of the pairing. “Top Rank promoted all three bouts between Marco Antonio Barrera and Erik Morales, and I view Berchelt-Valdez as this generation’s Barrera-Morales.”

However, the two fighters headlined a card each after Sports was brought back to the screens after the Corona Virus Pandemic had called and people were allowed to get back their normal lives.  Berchelt (38-1, 34KOs) knocked out fellow countryman Eleazar Valenzuela in the sixth round in a non title fight in June. Valdez was able to stop Puerto Rico’s Jayson Velez in the 10th round of their fight a month after in Las Vegas.

The fight was later moved to Dec. 9th but scrapped again after Berchelt returned a positive Corona Virus test result. The anticipated for the fight has now been heightened with the two months postponement.

“This fight is the one that I dreamed of since we were both amateur fighters,” said Berchelt, who has held a 130-pound title since an 11th round knockout win over Francisco Vargas in Jan. 2017. “Valdez is a great fighter, and it will be a great fight.

“I am preparing with everything to win by knockout and leave no doubt that I am the best super featherweight in the world.”

Valdez will be going into the ring with hopes of ending Berchelt’s four year reign and will be furthering his own legacy in the sport. His move up to 130 pounds is aimed at becoming a two division titlista after his long reign at featherweight.

“Whenever there are two Mexicans in the ring, it is a guaranteed war, and it will be an honor for me to bring a great war to my fans,”. insists Vargas (28-0, 22KOs).

The fight between unbeaten prospect Flores (19-0, 6KOs) and former junior lightweight titlist Andrew Cancio will be colliding in the Co-feature of the card. Flores has grown into a big draw in California, pulling in a 10, 000 draw in his fight on the Artur Bertebiev card back in 2019. Despite fighting without fans in 2020, he was able to stay active with two victories.

Cancio (21-5-2, 16KOs) was able to throw the boxing world off with an upset Knockout victory over Alberto Machado to win the 130 pound title and defended it ones before losing his belt to Rene Alvarado in their November rematch.

“I’m very excited to return to battle on February 20 against Gabriel Flores Jr.,” insists Cancio. “I’m working hard in the gym, and I know that this fight is the first on my path to becoming a two-time world champion. I would like to thank my fans, who have been so incredibly supportive. I’ve heard you loud and clear and can’t wait to put on another great show for you.”

 

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments