UFC On ESPN+ 29 Results – Glover Teixeira Pummels Anthony Smith, TKO In Fifth
Another big Upset hits the UFC and this time veteran Glover Teixeira pounded Top Light heavyweight contender Anthony Smith away to a fifth round TKO victory in the Main event of UFC On ESPN+ 29 on Wednesday night at VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena in Jacksonville, Florida.
Teixeira made a statement with the win after six years gone by since his last title shot, he finds himself back as a top contender at Light Heavyweight with a masterful performance.
Teixeira (31-7 MMA, 14-5 UFC) had to withstand an early attack from the much younger opponent to fight his way back to pummel fellow former title challenger Smith in the fifth round to earn a fifth round TKO victory at exactly 1:04 mark of the fifth round to earn his fourth consecutive victory.
GET UPDATES ON YOUR FAVOURITE SPORTS
Smith with strength and age in his side, looked to use that advantage early, fired five front kicks following them all with some sharp combos.
“It’s not how hard you hit, it’s how hard you get hit and keep coming forward,” Teixeira said in his post-fight interview.
The dominance was transfered to the s find round atleast until his right strike left a swelling on Teixeira’s eye and that was where everything changed and the Connecticut fighter fighting out of Brazil, picked up pace, connecting more and made visibly slow as the round got spent.
The third and fourth rounds were all bad news for Smith as Teixeira used combos of right hands and over-right hands after over-right hands to dis-stabilized Smith taking the rounds with a 10 – 8 in each of those rounds.
The fight was over by the end of the Fourth but the referee didn’t wave it off and his corner ignored complaints from Smith after he claimed his teeth were falling off and sent him again but the fight didn’t last longer than a minute before the referee waves off the fight .
The victory marks Teixeira’s 26th stoppage victory and Smith is presently 1-2 in his last three fights.
Full UFC On ESPN+ 29 Results
- Glover Teixeira def. Anthony Smith via TKO (punches — Round 5, 1:04)
- Ben Rothwell def. Ovince Saint via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Drew Dober def. Alexander Hernandez via TKO (punches – Round 2, 4:25)
- Ricky Simon def. Ray Borg via (split decision 28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Andrei Arlovski def. Phillipe Lins via unanimous decision With Scores (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Thiago Moises def. Michael Johnson via submission (heel hook – Round 2, 0:25)
- Sijara Eubanks def. Sarah Moras via unanimous decision With Scores (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Omar Morales def. Gabriel Benitez via unanimous decision with Scores (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Brian Kelleher def. Hunter Azure via knockout (punches – Round 2, 3:42)
- Chase Sherman def. Ike Villanueva via TKO (strikes – Round 2, 0:49)
Anthony Smith Vs Glover Teixeira