Enter your email address:
During the last two rounds of the fight Souza was mostly the aggressor and forced Blachowicz to fight on the back-foot pressing and cornering him up on the cage. However, that was just all he could do with his position.
Blachowicz constantly made use of counters to reduce the pressure and in few occasions almost landed that big telling blow with his attack with calf kicks and body attacks. Blachowicz landed a very good upper-cut that shocked and wobbled Souza but wasn’t ableato finish him off, much to the disappointment of the anticipating crowd at the Ginásio do Ibirapuera.
Blachowicz suffered a swollen leg during the fight but Souza was hesitant to attack the legs despite being screamed at by his coach to attack. After the fight, he claimed to still be recovering from an illness he go during the buildup road the fight and lamented the decision loss.
“Every time it’s a tough fight, it’s a close fight, they never gave me the win,” Souza said.
Main card Results
- Jan Blachowicz def. Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza by split decision (48-47, 47-48, 48-47)
- Mauricio “Shogun” Rua vs. Paul Craig declared a split draw (29-28, 28-29, 28-28)
- Charles Oliveira def. Jared Gordon by knockout (punches) at 1:26, R1
- Andre Muniz vs. Antonio Arroyo by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Wellington Turman def. Markus Perez by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
Preliminary Card Results
- James Krause def. Sergio Moraes by knockout (punch) at 4:19, R
- Ricardo Ramos def. Luiz Eduardo Garagorri by submission (rear naked choke) at 3:57, R1
- Francisco Trinaldo def. Bobby Green by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Randy Brown def. Warlley Alves by submission (triangle choke) at 1:22, R2
- Douglas Silva de Andrade def. Renan Barao by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Ariane Lipski def. Isabela de Padua by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 29-27)
- Tracy Cortez def. Vanessa Melo by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)