UFC Uruguay Results : Velentina Shevchenko Decisions Carmouche, Retains Title
Valentina Shevchenko retained her UFC Flyweight title with a unanimous decision victory over Liz Carmouche in Rematch on Saturday night at the Antel Arena in Montevideo, Uruguay.
With the win, Shevchenko avenged her loss to Carmouche, who really had little to offer in terms of offense. The fight was scored 50-45, 50-45, and 50-45 for Shevchenko.
“My strategy was to use all my skills to defend her,” Shevchenko said following her second straight title defense. “She has very uncommon techniques, style and timing. So I did everything to assure my victory inside the cage.”
The first two rounds had little action and got the Fans reacting. Shevchenko threw some combinations and looked ready to counter but didn’t get such opportunity , as Carmouche was comfortable sitting in a defensive stances and avoiding damage.
Shevchenko changes that in the last two minutes of the third round, where she lunched forwards with a serious combination, dropping Carmouche to the canvas but didn’t dive down to grapple with her instead decided to kick her legs.
Enter your email address:
After a while, she grabbed Carmouche and threw her on the canvas but wasn’t able to land enough offense on the ground due to their position locked against the cage wall.
Shevchenko made the fight better when she decided to attack more in the fourth round, she dropped and controlled Carmouche on the ground for most of the round but not really causing real damage with her strikes.
Shevchenko landed the biggest shot of the round on Carmouche, when the later tried to score a Take down of her own. A spinning back fist that drilled Carmouche, as she advance.
By the final five minutes,MIT was clear the winner will be the champion, as she continued her dominance, pressing forward and landing combinations, mixing it between Take Downs. Carmouche just played defense till the final bell.
This was Carmouche’s second try at a UFC title..
UFC Uruguay Full Results
- Valentina Shevchenko def. Liz Carmouche via UD – 50-45 x3
- Vicente Luque def. Mike Perry via Split Decision – 28-29, 29-28 x2
- Eduardo Garagorri def. Humberto Bandenay via unanimous decision – 30-27 x3
- Volkan Oezdemir def. Ilir Latifi via second-round KO 4:31
- Rodolfo Vieira def. Oskar Piechota via submission – triangle choke – R2, 4:22
- Enrique Barzola def. Bobby Moffett via Split decision – 28-29, 30-27, 29-28
- Gilbert Burns def. Alexey Kunchenko via unanimous decision – 29-28 x3
- Ciryl Gane def. Raphael Pessoa Nunes via sub – arm triangle – R1, 4:12
- Marina Rodriguez def. Tecia Torres via Unanimous Decision – 30-27 x2, 30-26
- Rogerio Bontorin def. Raulian Paiva via first-round TKO – 2:56 – doctor’s stoppage
- Chris Gutierrez def. Geraldo de Freitas via Split decision – 29-28, 27-30, 29-28
- Alex da Silva Coelho def. Rodrigo Vargas via UD – 30-27 x3
- Veronica Macedo def. Polyana Viana via submission – armbar – R1, 1:09