Portugal 3 – 1 Switzerland Football Highlights
Venue : Estadio do Dragao
Date : 5th June, 2019
Goal : 25′ Cristiano Ronaldo 1 – 0
Wow. Ronaldo looks to pile drive his way through Switzerland after a fine bit of skill to get past Xhaka.
Mbabu comes FLYING in to tackle, wins the ball, but also gets the man. In 2019, that’s a foul, right on the edge of the box too.
Ronaldo, of course, stepping up. Crowd on their feet.
ONLY ONE RESULT!
Ronaldo steps up, 20 to 25 yards out, and it has completely done Sommer like a kipper, going into the bottom right corner, to the goalkeeper’s left.
Superb free-kick, and his trademark celebration to boot.
— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) June 5, 2019
Goal : 57′ 1 – 1 (pen.) Ricardo Rodriguez
Bernardo Silva is clipped by Schar, clear penalty and it’s given. However, the officials MUST look at the Swiss penalty appeal incident first!
He’s going to the pitchside screen!
Rodriguez steps up, Rui Patricio gets a hand to it, but it creeps into the bottom left corner! Switzerland level in the most dramatic and controversial fashion!
Do we love VAR? I think we do, you know.
Goal : 88′ Cristiano Ronaldo 2 – 1
Who else?! The hallmark of a true great. From nothing, Ronaldo puts Portugal ahead, and all but through to the Nations League final on home soil.
Bernardo latches onto a long ball on the right, pulls it back for Ronaldo, 15 yards out, and he decides to hit it first time.
And hit it he does. Superb effort into the bottom right corner!
Goal : 90′ Cristiano Ronaldo 3 – 1
HAT-TRICK FOR RONALDO! WHEN WILL THIS MAN EVER STOP PERFORMING HEROICS?!
Xhaka loses the ball in midfield, Guedes gallops forward and offloads to Ronaldo on the edge of the box. He cuts inside Akanji and finds the far corner brilliantly!
What a performance in the last few minutes out of NOWHERE from Ronaldo.
SUBSCRIBE FOR LATEST NOTIFICATIONS
Enter your email address:
⚽25′ Cristiano Ronaldo 1 – 0
⚽57′ 1 – 1 (pen.) Ricardo Rodriguez
🌕67′ Granit Xhaka
🌕68′ Fabian Schaer
🌕85′ Xherdan Shaqiri
⚽88′ Cristiano Ronaldo 2 – 1
Video HD Highlights below
Line Up And Player Ratings
Portugal : Rui Patricio 6, Semedo 6, Pepe 6, Ruben Dias 6, Guerreiro 7, Carvalho 8, Ruben Neves 6, Fernandes 6, Bernardo 7, Joao Felix 5, Ronaldo 9. Subs: Fonte 6, Guedes 6, Moutinho 6.
Sommer 5, Schar 6, Akanji 5, Rondriguez 6, Mbabu 6, Zakaria 6, Xhaka 5, Freuler 6, Zuber 7, Shaqiri 8, Seferovic 6. Subs: Fernandes 6, Steffen 6, Drmic 6.
Man Of The Match : Cristiano Ronaldo
- Portugal have lost just one of their last 16 games across all competitions (W6 D9) and are unbeaten since a 2-1 defeat against Uruguay in the 2018 World Cup (P9 W4 D5 L0 since).
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s 53rd hat-trick for club and country (seven for Portugal) ended his four-game goalless streak for Portugal; he has now scored five goals in six previous semi-final appearances for Portugal (incl. World Cup, European Championships, Confederations Cup and Nations League).
- Two of Ronaldo’s last five goals for Portugal have come from direct free-kicks; only two of his previous 52 goals prior to this were scored in the same manner.
- Five of Ricardo Rodríguez’ last six goals for Switzerland have come from the penalty spot, including each of his last three.
- Portugal have won four of their last seven matches against Switzerland (D1 L2), one more than they’d registered in their first 15 meetings with the Swiss (W3 D4 L8).
- Switzerland have picked up two victories in their last three encounters with Portugal (L1), as many as they had won in their previous 10 combined (W2 D4 L4).
- Switzerland are winless in their last eight games played in Portugal (incl. Euro 2004), losing six and drawing twice since a 2-0 victory against Portugal in a World Cup 1970 qualifier in April 1969.
- Portugal have lost just one of their last 15 matches in all competitions (W5 D9 L1), losing 1-2 versus Uruguay at World Cup 2018 in the last 16.
- Portugal have kept a clean sheet in 15 of their last 30 matches across all competitions, losing just two times in the process (W16 D12 L2).
- Switzerland have lost just one of their last five matches (W3 D1 L1), scoring at least two goals in four of those games (12 scored) and failing to net in the other versus Qatar.
- Cristiano Ronaldo hasn’t scored in any of his last four appearances for Portugal, since scoring versus Morocco at World Cup 2018. The Juventus striker has attempted 27 shots without scoring since that strike against Morocco and he last went five international games without a goal back in June 2012.
- Ronaldo has scored two goals in five previous semi-final appearances for Portugal (incl. World Cup, Euros, Confederations Cup), scoring versus Netherlands in Euro 2004 and against Wales in Euro 2016.
The Nations League is back and this time Cristiano Ronaldo leads Portugal with hopes of helping Portugal get past Switzerland into the Nations League final.
Portugal lead a tough group consisting of Italy and Poland. They will definitely draw inspiration from their Euro 2016 triumph.
Switzerland will be out to stop the Portuguese from achieving their aim and thereby book a place in the final against Netherlands or England
Both teams have met 22 times in the past with Switzerland triumph 10 times, Portugal 7 times with 5 draws. However, Portugal triumphed over Switzerland initheir last meeting, defeating them 2 – 0 in the World Cup group-stage qualifier.