Croatia 2 – 1 Wales Football Highlights
Venue : Gradski Vrt
Date : 8th June, 2019
Goal : 17′ Lawrence (og) 1 – 0
Oh dear, poor James Lawrence!
Croatia’ have been threatening on the break since kick-off as Modric pings the ball forward for the on-running Perisic. As he has done so often, a dangerous cross is flashed into the box and Lawrence comes driving in to, accidentally, put the ball into his own net.
There will be a bit of controversy in the build-up as Wilson was calling for a foul at the top of the Croatia area before the hosts broke, but nothing was given.
Goal : 48′ Ivan Perisic 2 – 0
Perisic finally gets a much-deserved goal but what a terrible phase of defending from Wales.
Modric feeds Kramaric in the area, but Allen clips his heels to get the ball away, which also bounces off the back of Mepham.
Modric then pokes the loose ball into the path of Perisic, with Roberts rolling in front of him – trying to block – but instead, gives him the space to shape his shot.
Perisic doesn’t miss either and hammers the ball into the bottom corner.
Goal : 77′ 2 – 1 David Brooks
A wonderful strike from Brookes and a slice of luck which Wales desperately needed!
He gets past the newly introduced Badelj at the top of the area before curling a wonderful effort goalwards. It looked to be heading into the net, but it is helped on by the head of Vida as Brooks gets his first goal for Wales.
Are we on for a draw in Osijek?!
SUBSCRIBE FOR LATEST NOTIFICATIONS
Enter your email address:
⚽17′ James Lawrence (o.g.) 1 – 0
🌕28′ Josip Brekalo
⚽48′ Ivan Perisic 2 – 0
🌕50′ Tin Jedvaj
🌕48′ Gareth Bale
🌕50′ Tin Jedvaj
🌕54′ Dejan Lovren
🌕69′ Domagoj Vida
⚽77′ 2 – 1 David Brooks
Video HD Highlights below
Line Up And Player Ratings
Croatia : Livakovic, Jedvaj, Lovren, Vida, Barisic, Brozovic, Modric, Kovacic, Perisic, Brekalo, Kramaric.
Subs: Kalinic, Sluga, Melnjak, Caleta-Car, Skoric, Benkovic, Pasalic, Halilovic, Caktas, Badelj, Petkovic, Bartolec.
Wales : Hennessey, Roberts, J Lawrence, Mepham, B Davies, James, Smith, Allen, Wilson, Vaulks, Bale.
Subs: Ward, A Davies, Gunter, Taylor, Williams, Vokes, Levitt, Brooks, Matondo, Ampadu, T Lawrence, Lockyer.
Man Of The Match :
- This will be the fifth meeting between Croatia and Wales on the international stage, with Croatia winning the last three matches following a 1-1 draw in their first game in 2002.
- Wales haven’t lost four consecutive games against a single opponent since June 2016 versus England, losing their last five against the Three Lions.
- Wales have lost three of their last four away games in all competitions (W1), as many defeats as they’d registered in their previous 12 such matches combined (W5 D4 L3).
- Wales have lost just once in their last 13 European Championship qualifiers (W9 D3 L1), losing to Bosnia and Herzegovina in October 2015 under Chris Coleman (0-2).
- Ryan Giggs could become the first Wales manager to win his first two European Championship qualifying matches in charge since Terry Yorath in 1990.
- Wales’ Gareth Bale has had a hand in 12 goals in his last 14 appearances for the national team (9 goals, 3 assists), including registering seven goal involvements in his last seven games.
- Andrej Kramaric was directly involved in 21 league goals for Hoffenheim in 2018-19 (17 goals, 4 assists), more than any other Croatian player in Europe’s big five leagues.
- Ashley Williams (85) could earn his 86th cap in this match, becoming the outright second leading appearance maker amongst outfield players for the Wales national team (men’s) behind only Chris Gunter.