Rennes 3 – 1 Arsenal Football Highlights
(UEFA Europa League)
(Agg: 1 – 1)
Key Moments Recap :
Goal : 0 – 1 Alex Iwobi
Henrikh Mkhitaryan exchange passes on the left flank before Iwobi’s cross into a dangerous position creeps in at far post via the woodwork. Koubek was flatfooted and by the time he realised the shot was past him it was too late.
Red Card : 41′ Sokratis Papastatho…
Ben Arfa threads Sarr in behind the Arsenal defence, Sokratis is the wrong side of the forward and he brings him to ground. He’s booked and he can have no complaints. Two yellows means a red
Goals : 42′ Benjamin Bourigeaud 1 – 1
Benjamin Bourigeaud fires the resulting free-kick straight at the Arsenal wall but the rebound falls straight to him as he thunders an unstopable volley into the top corner past Petr Cech.
Goal : 65′ Nacho Monreal (o.g.) 2 – 1
Zeffane is kept onside by the Arsenal defence as he gathers an aimless pass before it goes out for a goal kick. He’s given all the time in the world to get his head up and cross, from which Nacho Monreal deflects the ball past Cech into the Arsenal goal.
SUBSCRIBE FOR LATEST NOTIFICATIONS
Subscribe in a reader
Enter your email address:
Delivered by FeedBurner
Goals (3 – 1) And Cards
⚽4′ 0 – 1 Alex Iwobi
🌕34′ Sokratis Papastatho…
🌕39′ Benjamin Bourigeaud
🔴41′ Sokratis Papastatho…
⚽42′ Benjamin Bourigeaud 1 – 1
⚽65′ Nacho Monreal (o.g.) 2 – 1
🌕87′ Mehdi Zeffane
⚽88′ Ismaila Sarr 3 – 1
Video HD Highlights below
Player Ratings (Starting Lineup)
Rennes : Koubek (7), Zefane (7), Da Silva (6), Mexer (6), Bensebaini (6), Grenier (7), Andre (6), Hunou (6), Bourigeaud (8), Sarr (7), Ben Arfa (7).
Subs: Lea Siliki (6), Gelin (n/a).
Arsenal FC : Cech (5), Mustafi (5), Koscielny (5), Sokratis (4), Monreal (5), Xhaka (5), Torreira (5), Mkhitaryan (5), Ozil (5), Iwobi (6), Aubameyang (5).
Subs: Guendouzi (6), Ramsey (5), Kolasinac (n/a).
Man Of The Match :
- Rennes are unbeaten in five games in Europe (W4 D1), their longest-ever run without defeat in European competition.
- Arsenal have lost away to a French side for the first time ever in European competition (W8 D5 L1).
- Arsenal have lost consecutive away games in Europe for the first time since September/November 2015, when they lost to Dinamo Zagreb and Bayern Munich in the Champions League.
- The Gunners have conceded 3+ goals for the first time in their last 23 European games, since losing 5-1 to Bayern Munich in March 2017 in the Champions League.
- Arsenal have picked up red cards in consecutive games (v Rennes and Tottenham) for the first time since September 2015 (v Chelsea and Dinamo Zagreb).
- Arsenal have had a player sent off and scored an own-goal in a game for the first time since September 2015 (v Chelsea in the Premier League).
- Petr Cech returned to Roazhon Park with Arsenal, 14 years & 288 days after making his last club appearance there as a Rennes player in May 2004.
- Alex Iwobi’s opener on 3 minutes 0 seconds was Arsenal’s fastest goal in European football since Lukas Podolski scored in the Champions League (2 mins 1 sec) against Galatasaray in December 2014.
- Rennes striker Ismalia Sarr has been directly involved in six goals in the Europa League this season (four goals, two assists); more than any other player for the French side.